There is seriously nothing more delicious than an apple fritter. The crunchy fried edges glazed in sweetness and the apple chunks on the inside…JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL.
One of the benefits of going gluten free has been the lack of junk food I eat on a daily basis. I have to think harder about the things that I want and making sure they are gluten compliant. Eric and I can’t just go out for pizza or burgers (or donuts).
So I decided to attempt making my own apple fritters. We bought a new washer and dryer this week – HELLO ADULTING! I thought donuts would be the perfect celebration for their arrival.
Start by mixing all of the goodness together while 2 cups of canola oil heats in a pan. Make sure that the oil is hot, but but not smoking. If the oil isn’t hot enough, the donuts will absorb too much oil and they will be gross. You want the dough to sizzle.
I used a spoon to dollop dough straight into the pan for an, ahem, rustic look. The one thing that I would change is I wish I had made the donuts smaller. They were a little large and didn’t quite cook through in the middle.
Once they have cooled slightly, dunk each fritter into sweetened condensed milk until covered. Eat them within a few hours for the best flavor!
GLUTEN FREE APPLE FRITTER RECIPE (Makes 6-8 fritters)
- 1 cup GF baking flour mix
- 1 apple, peeled and finely diced
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar (or Stevia)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Sprinkle salt
- For frying: 2 cups canola oil
- For glaze: 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
- Heat oil until hot (but not smoking)
- Use a spoon to spoon mixture into the hot oil – do not make the fritters too large or they won’t cook in the middle
- Turn when browned and brown both sides
- Cool slightly before coating in SCM
- Eat. A lot.