This is the holy grail. My ride or die can’t-live-without-face mask.
In my early 20’s, I struggled with cystic acne, acne scarring, and uneven color and texture. Not to mention premature wrinkles from too much sun. UGH! I talked about some of the things that helped me with my acne here. But even after getting some of the cystic acne under control, my skin still sucked!
I tried everything. Diet changes, probiotics, vitamins, tinctures, masks, high end skincare, homemade skin care…nothing was helping to even out and heal my skin.
UNTIL… *insert happy trumpets*
I made this accidental face mask. It was late at night and I was at Eric’s house (when we were dating) looking up DIY face masks. I had done DIY masks before and they were always a massive fail, but I was desperate! I thought about combining two of the things I had seen in separate recipes: plain greek yogurt and cinnamon.
Here is why these are both amazing in a face mask:
GREEK YOGURT SKIN BENEFITS:
- Probiotics help combat harmful bacteria living in the skin that lead to breakouts.
- Yogurt contains lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, that dissolves dead skin cells. This helps to create a natural glow and diminish the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
CINNAMON SKIN BENEFITS:
- The anti-fungal, antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties of cinnamon makes it useful against acne and skin blemishes.
- Cinnamon improves blood flow to the surface of the skin, resulting in rosy skin right after application. Your skin will probably feel hot as well, but that is totally normal! The increased circulation helps improve acne scarring and fills fine lines.
- Improves complexion.
My hopes were pretty low, considering NOTHING had been able to improve my skin. But after one application, I was sold!
When I slathered it on, I could immediately feel the heat and tingle from the lactic acid working (PS side note – don’t freak out and abandon ship! Tough it out for glorious glowing skin.)
After removing the mask, my skin was red and flushed. I was a little surprised at how warm and flushed my skin was (this is your warning)! But as my skin returned to normal over the next 20-30 minutes, I realized how soft, glowing, and plump it looked!
This mask breaks apart the top layer of skin cells, something that people pay major $$$ for. Some lactic acid serums go for over $100! Plus the cinnamon adds to all of the skin healing benefits.
After using this a few times a week for a year, my skin looked amazing and was pretty much totally under control! I still use it over 5 years later whenever my skin is looking dull, when I’m breaking out, or before an event or dinner for a “boost”!
*I should add that this mask is the reason I don’t have awful acne scarring after my above “before” photo. The resurfacing powers took care of all my cystic acne scars.*
- 1/2 c. plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. cinnamon (start small!)
- Mix ingredients together well. The color should be a light tan color.
- Apply all over face and down the neck (this is fine to use on active breakouts, dry skin, oily skin or sensitive skin)
- Let it tingle and work it’s magic! After about 5 minutes the burning sensation slows down or sometimes completely stops!
- Wait 15 minutes, until the mask begins to dry slightly.
- Use moist towel to wipe off.
- Wash face with water to get rid of any lingering cinnamon granules!
- Moisturize as usual.
- FEEL SKIN BECAUSE IT’S BABY SOFT & MAKE YOUR HUSBAND TOUCH IT, TOO!